Maria, Texas, USA asked Sandra Cruz-Pol, Professor

AddedThursday, March 29, 2012 at 7:28 AM

Working in U.S. with a Foreign Degree
Hello, My name is Maria. I hope you can help me with my doubts. I got my degree as Electrical Engineer, major in Telecommunications in Ecuador, South America, 5 years ago, and I want to study a master's degree in USA. I can't decide between a Master in Science in Electrical Engineering or a Master in Engineering Managment, very different options, because I'm worried that, because my BSEE is from South America, I can't find a good job in USA with an American masters. Which could be my best option? I would like to study the MEM but I don't know if it is better, in my case, to study the MSEE, for the technical background, in order to get a good job in USA. Thanks for your help.
Related to Choosing a School, Electrical, Graduate School
  • Sandra Cruz-Pol , Professor
    Answered Thursday, March 29, 2012 at 7:28 AM

    You can do either one. You should choose whatever you like the most. You can find a job in the US either way if you perform well. I have had many students from Latin America. They come to the Univ. of Puerto Rico in Mayaguez because we speak mostly Spanish, but we are accredited by ABET, which is the US accreditation Agency (PR is part of the U.S.) We do use all textbooks in English and some professors teach in English, but its a middle step. All of them have found jobs in the U.S. with no problem if they are good students, some have gone on to pursue a PhD. Hope this is useful, Sandra