Submit an answer

Rachelle, Toronto

AddedMonday, July 21, 2014 at 5:49 PM

Pursuing mechanical engineering from another country
Hi! I studied mechanical engineering in the Philippines for 3 years and was forced to transfer because our petition to become Canadian permanent residents was granted. Now, i'm confused. Should I just go back and pursue my degree in the Philippines (i'm really delayed because I left) or should I take Energy systems engineering technology at a community college? (Energy is kinda my passion so..) Some advice would be really helpful :(
Related to Mechanical, Preparation for College, Unique Challenges
  • Zahra Khan , Massachusetts Institute of Technology
    Answered Monday, July 21, 2014 at 5:49 PM
    I would transfer to a Canadian university. It can sometimes be hard to get jobs in Canada with foreign degrees.
    Maybe you could contact some companies you're interested in and check if they'll accept a foreign degree? 
    My guess is a Canadian degree will be more beneficial in the long run.
    Else there are some excellent engineering schools in Toronto and other parts of Canada. There is also financial aid available for these programs so don't just think about community college, think about a university as well.  Some examples are the University of Toronto or Ryerson University
    There are many other excellent engineering schools in the rest of Canada as well with financial aid available.