Submit an answer

Bruce, Calgary

AddedFriday, May 30, 2014 at 1:24 AM

Aerospace Engineering Jobs in America
Hi, I'm an engineer that was born, raised and I am working in Canada. I was wondering how I could go abouts working in the aerospace industry in the US? Just a bit of my background: I've worked for one of General Dynamics's subsidiaries in Canada, and I had received ITAR clearance on a number of military artifacts. Although I'm not a US national, could I still find work in the US and work on ITAR-related projects? Thanks.
Related to Aeronautical/Aerospace , Internships & Jobs
  • Zahra Khan , Massachusetts Institute of Technology
    Answered Friday, May 30, 2014 at 1:24 AM
    Hi Bruce,
    If you're still looking for an answer to this, the short answer is yes.
    The long answer is that you'd have to work on a project where they'd apply for an export control license to allow foreign nationals to work on it. And this is rare.
    The best thing to do would be to find a company willing to sponsor a work visa and green card. Once you have a green card, ITAR is no longer an issue.
    The other part of the answer is that as of November 2014, ITAR rules have changed so many items have been removed from ITAR into other export control categories and a special exemption for some categories has been added for Canadians. It'll probably take some time for employers to take advantage of these changes. But I'd encourage networking to access opportunities here.
    I'll also add that some companies like Gulfstream which does civilian work hire Canadians directly. So you might look into that.
    For space projects, contractors at NASA Ames are more open to foreign citizens.
    Hope this helps.