Submit an answer

Kads123, Toronto

AddedMonday, October 21, 2013 at 3:11 PM

Can I switch into engineering from another major?
Hi, I'm really considering going into engineering as I have a passion for innovating and designing things. I'm 20 and I am currently pursuing another career pathway that isn't something I am that into (teaching). I would like to switch to engineering but math wasn't my strongest subject in high school and I'm currently not doing any math or physics in school. I'm worried that because of those setbacks I might not succeed in engineering. I could take classes to reinforce my math but everyone seems to against me going into engineering because, 1) they say I'll not make it in with my current credentials, 2) I'm too old to suddenly decide to pursue another career, and 3) I might find it too overwhelming. I really want to do engineering as I feel that I can succeed in it and there are so many things that I'd love to make and design with my own skills. Is there anyway to have an initial idea of what engineering is like before pursuing university with it? I heard that shadowing an engineer is a good idea, but I don't know where I could go to find someone in the field I'd like to go in which is Mechanical engineering? So this is such a lengthy question but an answer would really quench my anxiety. Thank you.
Related to Math & Science, Mechanical, Merging Fields, Unique Challenges
  • Zahra Khan , Massachusetts Institute of Technology
    Answered Monday, October 21, 2013 at 3:11 PM
    Let me just say its never really too late to start working on what you love.
    And you're only 20 and still in school so its the perfect time to switch. 
    Engineering school doesn't require you to be brilliant at math. You can succeed if you're willing to put in some hard work. So don't let that hold you back. 
    If you're still worried, you could try taking some math and engineering classes without officially switching your major and see you how you like it. 
    As for job shadowing, perhaps you can reach out to Professional Engineers of Ontario and see if they could help. Or even just go talk to professors in the engineering department at your school.