Submit an answer

Ashley, Los Angeles

AddedTuesday, May 28, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Classes for chemical engineering
What classes do you have to take to be a chemical engineer? Also, how long do you have to be in college? What colleges specializes in chemical engineering?
Related to Chemical, Preparation for College
  • Answered Tuesday, May 28, 2013 at 1:04 PM

    Hi Ashley,

    Most undergraduate engineering degrees take 4 years to complete although some take 5.  People who go on to complete a masters or Ph.D. degree will take even longer, although some programs allow students to complete both a bachelors and a masters degree in as little as 5 years.  The classes required vary depending on the university, but in general you will need a grounding in the basics of chemistry, physics and calculus along with some additional specialized courses such as thermodynamics, transport, and materials.  You can usually get a sample course schedule from any university you might be interested in.  Use the University Finder at to look for programs in chemical engineering throughout the world.