Submit an answer

Liz, Chicago, IL

AddedTuesday, April 23, 2013 at 12:29 PM

Pursuing a career change into engineering
I want to pursue a career change into Environmental Engineering, but have no history or coursework in the subject. I graduated from college three years ago with a Bachelor of Arts and am wondering what the best steps would be to pursue this career change. I would like to do graduate studies, but presumably need more coursework in math and science. Will I need to essentially get a whole new undergraduate degree? I did very well in the math classes I did take in college, but my interests led me in another direction. Any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated! I hope I'm not precluded from the field because I developed this interest after the age of 18! Thanks! Liz
Related to Environmental, Graduate School, Merging Fields, Preparation for College
  • Answered Tuesday, April 23, 2013 at 12:29 PM

     Hi Liz,

    I'm not positive, but I don't think you will have to get an entirely new degree.  However, you will probably need to take a number of extra classes.  My best advice is to contact the graduate program that you are interested in.  Find out about pre-requisite classes, and explain your situation.  You can ask if they would accept less than a bachelor's degree in your chosen field if you can demonstrate aptitude by doing well in a number of related classes.  I think most universities would be open to such an arrangement if you can demonstrate how your past experiences are relevant.  Good luck!