Aeronautical/Aerospace Engineer

Aerospace engineers work with all kinds of aircraft - from gliders to space shuttles. They can design, develop, or help manufacture aircraft - including rockets and spacecraft. Many engineers specialize in one area, like structural design, navigation systems, or manufacturing techniques. Others choose to specialize in a particular kind of air or space craft.  Two types of aerospace engineers include aeronautical engineers (They work with aircraft that stay within the earth's atmosphere such as airplanes and helicopters.) and astronautical engineers (They work with aircraft that operate outside of the earth's atmosphere such as rockets, satellites, and other and spacecraft.)


Aerospace engineering can be taken for a bachelors degree or more advanced degrees such as a masters or Ph. D.  Many universities have aerospace engineering departments but the degree may be a specialty of the mechanical engineering department in others.  Some engineers with a mechanical engineering degree may also specialize in aerospace work.


Aerospace engineers work in industries directly related to aircraft. Some work in labs testing aircraft, while others investigate crashes and systems failures to determine the cause and prevent future accidents.


The average annual starting salary for an entry-level aerospace engineer is $63,417.*


  • Improve the safety of the space shuttles 
  • Build a more spacious airliner 
  • Create satellites that detect drought around the world  
  • Design robots that collect samples on other planets, revealing insights about our galaxy  
  • Develop parachutes, using new materials to improve their performance
*Source: 2013
  • Displaying 1 - 20 of 107
  •  Records per Page:

More Engineers!

Linh Truong
Nicolette Yovanof
Roberta Banaszak- Gleiter
Alicia Dwyer Cianciolo
Anne Spence
Summer Williams
Missy Cummings
Jamie Krakover
Jennifer Lewis
Hayley McGuire
Victoria Coverstone
Sibylle Walter
Latest Question

I want to work on a fighter aircraft, what kind of engineering does it involve?

by Armanifrom Hoboken

Hello, I am a freshman in Farleigh Dickinson University aspiring to work on fighter aircraft for the U.S. government. What field of engineering should I consider? I was told mechanical engineering can relate, but than I found out that aerospace ...

Read the answer
Photo Album