An EngineerGirl! Website Contest In Conjunction with National Engineers Week 2005
Each year, thousands of dolphins die after beaching themselves, often in spite of efforts of volunteers working furiously to move them back out to sea. Imagine that a pod of dolphins has mysteriously come ashore and you are asked to help. Think of a solution to this problem using design principles and processes from one or more fields of engineering, removing the dolphins from the beach and safely back into their home in the water.
How Do I Enter? Make a plan to solve this problem. Include charts, pictures, diagrams, lists of supplies, etc. for how you would get the dolphins off the beach. Use up to four graphics pages, including pictures and charts, and no more than 500 words. Scoring will include points for presentation, thoroughness, and creativity.
Who Can Enter? The contest is open to individual girls and boys and teams of up to 6 students. There are two age categories: grades 5–8 and grades 9–12.
When Is the Deadline? Entries must be e-mailed or postmarked by December 31, 2004.
Awards First-place entries will be displayed on the EngineerGirl websiteand will be awarded $250. Second-place entries will be awarded $150. Third-place entries will be awarded $100. The winners will be announced on February 25, 2005.
- All work must be the original work by the creator or team submitting the entry and must not have been published elsewhere.
- All entries will be reviewed by a panel of judges whose selections will be final.
- Entry in the contest grants NAE nonexclusive rights to post the winning items in full or in part on the EngineerGirl! website. Creators will maintain copyright.
Please submit the following with your work, preferably on a separate page:
- Your name
- Your age and grade
- Topic area of your poster
- Contact information, including e-mail address if available
- A clear statement that the submitted item is the original work of the entrant(s) and that the entrant grants NAE the right to publish the item on the EngineerGirl Website if it is declared a winner.